By Aleshia Pint, Less With Bread
Imagine walking through your door, kicking your winter boots off and shaking off the chill from the frigid weather outside, and having a warm bowl to wrap your hands around - a bowl filled with comforting and filling chili.
Packed with protein from lean ground turkey and a variety of beans, one bowl for lunch or dinner will keep you feeling satisfied but not heavy. Be generous with the vegetables you add; a couple multi-coloured bell peppers, red onions, corn - it’s all to your personal taste. This chili has a spicy kick from jalapenos that are coarsely chopped and added with their seeds, but serrano peppers would work well too if you can get your hands on them! Don’t be shy with the spices either, the key to a flavourful sauce is all about building the flavour - smoky paprika, cayenne pepper, chili pepper and oregano all blend together to create that distinct and familiar chili taste.
1 package lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can of low salt black beans, rinsed
1 can of low salt mixed beans, rinsed
1 can corn (frozen works as well if that’s what you have on hand)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes and their juice
1 can pureed tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium sized white onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
2 jalapenos, chopped (use one for a more mild kick)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste
additional (optional): green onions, shredded cheese, avocado, plain greek yogurt
1. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add ground turkey and brown, breaking into small bits. Drain turkey and pour into slow cooker.
2. In the same pan, sauté onions, garlic, celery and spices until fragrant. (This step is optional - if you are short on time, go ahead and skip to step 3 - this just builds a more complex flavour).
3. Add onion, celery and spice mixture to slow cooker, along with all remaining ingredients.
4. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
5. Top with optional ingredients.
*if just using the stove, follow above ingredients using a large pot, and simmer for 1-2 hours.