By Aleshia Pinto, Less With Bread
These little muffins make a great on-the go breakfast or snack. Greek yogurt keeps them moist and fluffy with the bonus of added protein, while honey and coconut oil make this a sweet treat.
Adding the juice and zest of a lemon gives it a strong flavour, totally reminds me of lemonade and warmer days. This recipe is a good base to add other ingredients too - a handful of blueberries if you have those in your freezer, a tablespoon of poppy seeds, or better yet, chia seeds for a bit of added texture.
*Makes 12 large or 24 small
2 cups whole wheat flour (I find one cup white and one cup whole wheat works best)
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1 cup vanilla greek yogurt (or plain)
1 lemon, both juice and zest
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*feel free to use all coconut oil instead of butter; butter adds fluffiness
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin pan using coconut oil cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and whisk.
3. Cream the butter/oil, zest and sugar together in a second bowl. Add egg, yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients in two parts, folding gently after each time until just combined. This is where you would fold in additional ingredients, if you were using them.
5. Add to muffin tin using ice cream scooper - the batter will be thick, don’t worry.
6. Bake 16-20 minutes (depending on your oven) or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cook in tin for 5 minutes then transfer to cooking rack to cool completely